Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Green tea-drinkers less likely to suffer depression


Elderly people who drink several cups of green tea a day were less likely to suffer from depression, probably due to a "feel good" chemical found in this type of tea, Japanese researchers said.
Several studies have linked drinking green tea to lessening psychological problems and Dr Kaijun Niu, of Tohoku University Graduate School, and colleagues found men and women aged 70 and older who drank four or more cups of green tea daily were 44 per cent less likely to have symptoms of depression.

Green tea is widely consumed in many Asian countries, including China and Japan.

Dr Niu and the team investigated 1058 relatively healthy elderly men and women.

About 34 per cent of the men and 39 per cent of the women had symptoms of depression, according to the study that was published in the December issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition.

A total of 488 participants said they drank four or more cups of green tea a day, 284 said they downed two to three cups daily and the rest reported having one or fewer cups daily.

According to the researchers, the apparent effect of drinking more green tea on alleviating symptoms of depression did not fade after they factored in social and economic status, gender, diet, history of medical problems and use of antidepressants.

By contrast, there was no association between consumption of black or oolong tea, or coffee, and lower symptoms of depression.

A green tea component, the amino acid theanine, which is thought to have a tranquillising effect on the brain, may explain the "potentially beneficial effect" shown in the current study, Dr Niu noted.

However, further studies were needed to confirm whether greater green tea intake actually had antidepressant effects, the researchers said.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Easily I assent to but I dream the post should have more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Easily I assent to but I dream the list inform should have more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

I wish not concur on it. I over polite post. Specially the designation attracted me to be familiar with the whole story.

Anonymous said...

Netter Beitrag

Anonymous said...

Good post and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you as your information.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.

Anonymous said...

Hi there to all, it's genuinely a pleasant for me to pay a visit this web site, it includes precious Information.

my blog online business systems

Anonymous said...

Excellent beat ! I wіsh to aрprеntіcе ωhіle you
аmend your sіte, hoω сan i subscrіbe for a blog
sitе? The aсcount аіdeԁ mе a apрropгiate deаl.
I were tinу bit familiaг οf this your broаdcast prοvidеd viviԁ clear
concept

Αlso visit my ωeblog - health insurance plans

Anonymous said...

Youг stylе is unique compared to other people I've read stuff from. I appreciate you for posting when you have the opportunity, Guess I will just bookmark this blog.

My site ... how to make Money Online

Anonymous said...

Ιt's nearly impossible to find well-informed people on this subject, however, you sound like you know what you're talking abоut!
Тhanks

Alѕο visit my ωeb-sitе:
sportsbet